"Twas The Night Before Jesus Came"

'Twas the night before Jesus came and all through the house Not a creature was praying, not one in the house. Their Bibles were lain on the shelf without care In hopes that Jesus would not come there. The children were dressing to crawl into bed. Not once ever kneeling or bowing a head.And Mom in her rocker with baby on her lap Was watching the Late Show while I took a nap. When out of the East there arose such a clatter. I sprang to my feet to see what was the matter. Away to the window I flew like a flash, Tore open the shutters and threw up the sash! When what to my wondering eyes should appear But angels proclaiming that Jesus was here. With a light like the sun sending forth a bright ray I knew in a moment this must be THE DAY! The light of His face made me cover my head It was Jesus! returning just like He had said. And though I possessed worldly wisdom and wealth, I cried when I saw Him in spite of myself. In the Book of Life which He held in His hand Was written the name of every saved man. He spoke not a word as He searched for my name; When He said "it's not here" my head hung in shame. The people whose names had been written with love He gathered to take to His Father above. With those who were ready He rose without a sound. While all the rest were left standing around. I fell to my knees, but it was too late; I had waited too long and thus sealed my fate. I stood and I cried as they rose out of sight; Oh, if only I had been ready tonight. In the words of this poem the meaning is clear; The coming of Jesus is drawing near. There's only one life and when comes the last call We'll find that the Bible was true after all!

written by Unknown Author

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Spring - Social and Community Activities

Spring - Social and Community Activities


The end of the school year each spring meant that there were special programs or performances by children, or perhaps a school dance or picnic. Families were invited, and friends and neighbors visited, as everyone celebrated childrens' school achievements and the end of another school year. Warm weather made it easier for farm families to go to church. Each Sunday morning, most families got up early to milk cows and feed livestock before driving several miles to church in a horse-drawn wagon or a car. Occasionally, churches sponsored potluck dinners. Each family prepared a meat dish, vegetable, dessert, or bread to share with others. Children knew that church potlucks and school picnics meant good food and a chance to play with friends.

Photo of an old-fashioned telephone.
Norma Ehlers Photo"We were at a cousin's house for a family dinner. My dad and a group of his friends would play ball in the afternoon, and they played baseball out in the pasture. And I can just remember when the fire whistle we had there. There was a country telephone line. If there was a ring that had two long rings and a ring, ring, ring beyond that, you knew that was an emergency ring. Everybody should go to the phone and listen….We found out that it was our house that was burning…Our dad… was upstairs changing clothes into his baseball clothes. And he jumped over the banister and down the steps… They saved the baby buggy and… sewing machine that were on the porch. They could pull those out…but everything else perished. All our precious things… all the things that my mother and dad had worked for all those years had gone up in smoke." -- Norma Ehlers Quicktime Logo (Quicktime required)

No comments:

Post a Comment

~ Drop me a note and let me know what you think ~